Counting Potatoes

Quirky Observations, Opinions and Theories on Life

Aug 19, 2008

The ButterBowl Effect

Blog Advertising - Get Paid to Blog
Share/Save/Bookmark submit to reddit






6 Toilets…



1 Septic tank…



It’s no wonder that things can get a bit weird in the toilet sometimes. See, I was quite content just sitting there, smoking my mandatory one stick per session and reading a sci-fi novel when I suddenly heard a sound from deep within the bowels of the earth… okay, maybe it’s more of a sound from the pipes running underground and connecting our toilets together. Anyway, I was still deep in reflection about what the sound portends when the bowl suddenly bubbled forth and spewed its wrath. It was like Armageddon and Deep Impact all rolled into one. Believe me, I must’ve jumped two feet off the floor in terror…


I must admit, it may seem hilarious now but it was certainly horrifying at that moment with me in wide eyed terror huddling in the corner of that tiny room staring with morbid fascination at the raging tempest at what was once a peaceful body of water. I was even half expecting Sadaku to come out of the bowl… Yuck…. Maybe this was how the ancients felt when confronted with the unexplainable forces of nature and why they turned to religion for comfort and answers. As for me, I certainly wasn’t feeling too holy at that moment. All I was thinking about was how I could reach across the bowl in order to get to my cigarettes.


Two more sticks and a cup of coffee later (in a different room this time), I finally relaxed somewhat enough to reflect on my experience and I came to the conclusion that life’s like that sometimes. All of us, to one degree or another, have to contend with neighbours, shared “septic tanks” and splash damages of whatever we do to other people. Every decision we make can and will have a corresponding effect on other people in our society. Our votes during election, our treatment of our trash, energy conservation, political apathy, our prejudices, biases, etc, etc. All of these things somehow get flushed down in the pipelines of society and may bubble up somewhere down the line to scare the hell out of someone else.


We see these everyday, parents wondering how their children grew up as pickpockets and criminals, citizens staring at horror on what their country has become and couples crying their hearts out because of their relationship’s one way ticket to hell. All because of people’s misconception that what they do doesn’t influence the actions of other people.


Hmmmm… Too much reflection on a simple toilet incident and too much coffee I think.. A Filipino Expression goes “kung anong isinuksok, siyang madudukot (garbage in, garbage out)” and “kung anong itinanim, siyang aanihin (You reap what you sow)”.


Well, in my case, that’s exactly what happened.. DJ calls it the toilet bowl's Mc Arthur effect " I'll be Back", you could also call it the terminator effect "Hasta la Vista, Baby". In any case, i wouldn't like what comes in in that toilet bowl to pop in and out of existence.. I think the pipes should get checked..:(


to those with the same toilet bowl problem my advice is:


Cover your Ass.. Literally, ehe he

Share/Save/Bookmark submit to reddit

0 comments: